Friday, June 11, 2010

Tears of joy and appreciation for the kindness of strangers

Dear Everyone,

I am sitting here crying (I think in part because I have not really slept in the last 36 hours) because I have just experienced the kindest Taxi driver ever.

So just a quick catch up...

We arrived in Stavanger, Norway at 22:00 and took a taxi to the University where we are renting a dorm during our stay. When we arrived there was no one here so the taxi driver said that he would wait until someone came. We looked around and a lady came by but did not speak any English or German so the taxi driver spoke to her for us and explained that we had just arrived and were needing to check in. She called a colleague and explained that someone would come very soon and that we could wait inside. The taxi driver had waited through all of this until he saw that we were safe and sound inside.

Speed forward an hour, I realised that I had left my wallet in the cab and I had no way of communicating to anyone but I was in full panic. I signed up with Skype and called the taxi service. They were very helpful but unable to reach the taxi driver. They told me that it is their policy to return any missing items to the police station and since I had no way for them to contact me that I would have to check there tomorrow. I then attempted through Skype to call my bank to put a freeze on my account but was not able to connect. I know that I should have figured out a way to call them but I knew that it would be all right.

Well, I just received a knock on the door and there was my taxi driver with two of his friends and my wallet. He had received the call and found my wallet and somehow found me and delivered my wallet.

I can now go to sleep knowing that everything is okay...

3 comments:

  1. Sleep tight. I'm so proud of you for getting Hannah there safe and sound. This had to be the hardest part. Now for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you're a darling wonderful girl and I love your new taxi driver. Have sweet dreams and thank you for taking good care of our Hannah. It seems like you're always taking care of someone in these trips of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful example of kindness. Nice to know there are a few good people out there.

    ReplyDelete